Sunday, October 2, 2011

I Failed This Week!

The curriculum for my class this past week was about 20% vocabulary words (word stems), 40% Hatchet (our novel), and 40% author’s purpose.  To teach author’s purpose, I used a Prezi with videos and student interaction.  We watched videos, listened to podcasts, read passages, looked at real-world brochures, and examined the author’s purpose in each.  After observing and working with the students for the week, I thought they had it down (there are only three options).


I assessed the students with a four passage and four question formative quiz.  After running the numbers, the students averaged a 38% (A THIRTY-EIGHT PERCENT)!  Oh, I tell you it makes me feel like a failure.  I know that I need to re-teach author’s purpose now because I can’t do irony and predicting (this week’s lessons) without it.  Unfortunately, if I take more time to re-teach, something in my last unit will suffer by not having enough time.

What do other teachers do?  Do they continue with their pacing guide?  I will re-teach, but I’m not sure how to make it more attractive to the learners.  Student motivation is lacking and I feel like I have used all of my motivational influence.  They should have mastered the concept in forth grade but they still struggle with it in seventh.  Does it make sense to you?

2 comments:

  1. Change the way you assess! If they "have it" during application, why do you need to do a paper/pencil quiz to assess? Are you certain that you are assessing what you taught? Could they produce something from one of the aspects of author's purpose you taught?

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Anonymous
    I agree, but I am assessing the way that the county requires me to assess. I would love to assess differently. We did work out some misconceptions they had that I was unaware of though. Thanks for being frank. Soft words don't help anyone.
    -Zane

    ReplyDelete