Monday, June 4, 2012

A Summer of Reading


The end of the school year is here and I have turned in my grades for the semester.  I am proud to say that the students really accomplished growth this year and I feel that the majority of them will be ready for the challenge in English IV.  Some of them are going to have to do some soul searching if they want to do anything other that simply survive in high school English.


Pending being re-hired next year, I am scheduled to have four different preps.  I am going to teach English IV (AP, honors, and academic) and AP English III.  These are all high level classes and there is a great need for me to be on top of my game.  When I am not prepared, I feel like the students can see right through me.  Here is a smattering of what I’ll be reading through again and reviewing for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year.


 I gave both classes (AP III and AP IV) their summer assignment today.  It is funny to hear the mournful comments from some students and the excited expressions of other students.  They do not realize the amount of work that goes into simply making their assignment, let alone the work that goes into making next year fun and engaging.

I am excited to get started reading, but I can remember my freshman and half of my sophomore year when I hadn’t discovered deep, rich reading.  It wasn’t until sophomore year in high school that I learned what reading could be.  I read The Grapes of Wrath in honors English class and was hooked.  Since then, I have read all of the John Steinbeck books that I could.  Each one was enjoyable except for The Red Pony.  He has a way with words that speaks to my reader’s mind.


My mother-in-law and step-father-in-law are coming to visit this week.  We will enjoy some time at the Carolina Mudcat’s game and time in Williamsburg, Virginia.  Hopefully, I will continue to blog throughout the summer as to journal my reading and preparation for the year.  Right now, I am focusing on The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.  We’ll see what I come up with.  I am also going to be reading Humility by C.J. Mahaney and Hebrews by the Apostle Paul.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment