Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Writing Words on Paper

In my writer’s journal yesterday, I wrote about the process of writing.  Here it is for your reading pleasure.


Writing is an interesting skill.  I don’t think about the specific strokes of my pen anymore.  I think about the words and my hand and fingers move the right muscles to make the words.  I don’t even think about the individual letters.  I think the word and it appears on the page.  When I don’t know how to spell a word, I think about the parts of the word and I write the chunks of the word.  Or, I write the word in the air to test the look of the word.  Is this simply because I have built the muscle memory of spelling words many times, or is my mind really thinking in chunks instead of single letters?  Our minds are so advanced that it stands to reason that my mind simply stamps each word on the page, but because the limitations of the writing utensil, I have to work through each word from left to right, from ink blot to ink blot.

No comments:

Post a Comment